12 Toxins to Avoid Exposing Your Baby To

Posted on
toxins to avoid for your baby


When taking care of our children's health, we sometimes forget that the shampoos, lotions, soaps, toys might not be 100% safe for them. The things we use have toxic chemicals that are dangerous to our children health. In fact, most of us use items that are labeled natural and gentle on infants and children, but they have harmful toxins. Here is a list of 12 most common toxins that can greatly damage your child’s respiratory system, immune system, digestive attack, nervous system and much more.

Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)

PVC is a very common material used in the manufacture of soft children products. During the manufacturing of PVC toys, a lot of other chemicals like cadmium, phthalates, and lead are added to make the toys either more rigid and durable or softer and squishier. 


Formaldehyde is used at least in every item, including bedding, shoes, fertilizer, cosmetics, clothing, shoes, toys and food. Formaldehyde is a dangerous gas for children in more than one way. Even a small amount of formaldehyde can cause eye and nose irritation and sore throats in children as well as adults. High concentration of formaldehyde can lead to cancer.


Different pesticides can act differently and can cause varying levels of damage to your child. For instance, the synthetic pesticide is a combination of chemical elements, such as nitrogen, phosphorus, bromine or chlorine. They are meant to kill pests, but when children get exposed to pesticides, it can lead to the decrease of stamina, coordination and memory loss. Pesticides are even more dangerous to children as its residue is stored in fat cells in the body forever.


For children, mercury can invoke problems like drowsiness, impaired memory, irritability, sleep disturbances, tremor and learning and concentration problems. Mercury is present in things like batteries, small appliances, fluorescent lamps and even dental fillings. If you are using these products, keep them from children and dispose of them properly when you are not using them.


Lead is a heavy metal found in children’s toys, some ceramics, paints, pipes, tap water, and gasoline. Children are most like exposed to lead through drinking tap water or putting toys in the mount. Lead is known to directly affect the child’s brain, causing behavioral defects in the process.

Flame retardants

Fire retardants are safety features used in home appliances furniture and other items. These chemicals are used to prevent a fire from spreading. However, flame retardants are particularly harmful during the child's critical brain development period. Fire retardant mimic thyroid hormones in interrupting a child’s brain development.

Cigarette smoke

Many are the times when children get exposed to second-hand smoke. Once they ingest cigarette smoke, it causes countless respiratory tract infections and can also aggravate asthma in children. Aside from health effects, researchers have found a link between intellectual and behavioral problems and cigarette smoke.


Solvents are common fluids used in homes on a daily basis. Although some solvents are not toxic when inhaled, others can cause skin irritation, depression to the central nervous system and other can cause permanent side effects to your child’s heart and brain. Solvents are present in glue, furniture strippers, dry-cleaning fluid, turpentine and other products.


Arsenic is a known neurotoxin. Arsenic used in preserving wood is the common and dangerous arsenic to children. Children come into contact with arsenic in a wooden playground. High levels of arsenic are known to have a large impact on a developing brain and other effects like skin irritation.

Phthalates and BPA

Phthalates are present in baby products like shampoos and lotions. They have been directly linked to endocrine disruption and leads to other problems like allergies, asthma, and cancer. In other instances, things like fragrances contain phthalates. BPA is a potential precursor to different types of cancer.


Fluoride is present in tap water, foods, and toothpaste. An overdose of fluoride is responsible for fluorosis. It also has the ability to cause brain damage and cause IQ deficits. Children are exposed to fluoride through the water they drink or bathe in and through toothpaste.


Perchlorates are odorless and colorless salts that can easily dissolve in water. Perchlorate affects the thyroid gland affecting iodine hormone. Iodine is responsible for regulating body functions after being released into the body. Children exposed to high amounts of perchlorate for a long time may affect the pulmonary system, liver, cardiovascular system nervous system and numerous endocrine organ failure.

When it comes to shopping for baby products, searching for safer alternatives or sifting through all the information can be confusing and time-consuming. However, does that mean you do not need to check for harmful substances in baby items? No! As distressing as it may be, you must check out for toxins in baby items. If you must buy your child toys, make sure it is toxin-free.

Visit our parenting tips library by category:

And check out more of our blog posts here



Leave a comment

All blog comments are checked prior to publishing

Get 10% off your first order

and receiving weekly parenting tips